About Me


Gavin Hubble - (BSc & Post Grad. Business Marketing) - I started working in the wine industry over 23 years ago in New Zealand. Working in; wine retail, sales, wine production, label & packaging design, marketing, wine buying, consulting and wine education. I am responsible for the Brand Health of 60+ wine brands distributed here in New Zealand. Wine Brands from New Zealand, Australia, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Chile and Argentina. I work closely with the Trade Industry - (Retail Stores & Restaurants) introducing, educating and positioning exciting and unique brands to wine enthusiasts all over the world.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Arrogant Frog 'Organic' Cabernet / Merlot 2009

Grape Variety: 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 45% Merlot

Growing Region: Languedoc, France

Owner / Chief Winemaker: Jean-Claude Mas

Gold Medal - Concours General Agricole 2010.

TASTING NOTE:
This charming and approachable wine from Arrogant Frog comes from the sun-drenched hills of the Languedoc region, between the Mediterranean Sea and the Herault valley. As with every wine Jean-Claude makes this is exceptional quality for the price and bound to impress if you haven't tried his wines before.
For the first time, Jean Claude Mas is releasing his 'organic' Cabernet / Merlot, made from organically grown grapes.
Each grape variety was vinified separately. The fruit under went cold maceration at 10C for approx 3 days prior to 6 days fermentation at 24-26C with daily pumping over, followed by 9 days maceration for the Cabernet and 8 days for the Merlot. The 'assemblage' was then made in November before putting the wine in barrels. With 25% of the blend being aged in new oak barrel for 4 months. The other 75% gently matured in stainless steel vats. After taking the wine out of the barrels - it was then aged for a further 2 months in vats prior to bottling.
In the glass you have a deep purple, garnet red with ruby, red tints around the edge. The nose is full of bright blueberry notes, with hints of red pepper and spicy characters. The palate is well balanced, fruit driven, with smooth tannins, integrated oak and a long finish of ripe plums.
Decant for 20mins and serve at 16-18C.

CELLARING POTENTIAL:
Drinking well this summer; and will age for another 4 years.

SUGGESTED FOOD MATCHES:
Perfect wine match with barbecues, poultry, pasta, terrines and medium to strong cheeses, enjoy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment