About Me


Gavin Hubble - (BSc & Post Grad. Business Marketing) - I started working in the wine industry over 23 years ago in New Zealand. Working in; wine retail, sales, wine production, label & packaging design, marketing, wine buying, consulting and wine education. I am responsible for the Brand Health of 60+ wine brands distributed here in New Zealand. Wine Brands from New Zealand, Australia, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Chile and Argentina. I work closely with the Trade Industry - (Retail Stores & Restaurants) introducing, educating and positioning exciting and unique brands to wine enthusiasts all over the world.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Arrogant Frog 'Croak Baronne' Shiraz 2009

Grape Variety: 100% Syrah

Growing Region: Languedoc, France

Owner/ Winemaker: Jean-Claude Mas

TASTING NOTE:
A wine proud of its Mediterranean origins - a lively blend of Syrah from three different 'Terroir': Domaine de Nicole, the Montagne Noire foothills and the Haute Vallee de l'Aude, Jean-Claude has created a model for Languedoc Shiraz. Each parcel was fermented separately - before careful blending to express the best from the vintage and region.
The fruit was machine harvested at night to retain bright fruit notes. After harvest the grapes were cooled down to 12C for 4-days cold pre-fermentation maceration. Fermentation then took place at 28C on the first day and then at 25C for the next 4 days. After fermentation, maceration lasted for 6 days with daily pumping over. Only the soft first pressings and free run juice were used in this particular blend. Before malolactic fermentation 45% of the wine is put in traditional oak barrels. 30% of the final blend is aged in oak barrels, where they use 70% new American and 30% new French oak barrels. The wine is aged for 5 months in barrels with 'racking'. The other 70% of the blend is aged in stainless steel.
In the glass you have an intense deep purple colour with garnet red tints. On the nose you initially find spices and balsamic then a second layer develops of blackcurrant, violets and finishing with toasted oak notes. The palate is full bodied but mellow with velvety tannins. Ripe and floral flavours on the middle palate, liquorice and spicy flavours on the lingering finish. Decant for 20-30mins, and serve at 17C.

CELLARING POTENTIAL:
Drinking perfectly well this winter season: and over the next 3-5 years.

SUGGESTED FOOD MATCHES:
Perfect wine match with meat pies, game, beef stews and hard cheeses; enjoy.

A bright and honest wine, made to be enjoyed young.


 

1 comment:

  1. Very nice picture and thank for the post !

    You can get more news about Arrogant Frog on the blog : http://www.arrogantfrog.fr/blog

    ReplyDelete