About Me

Gavin Hubble - (BSc & Post Grad. Business Marketing) - I started working in the wine industry over 23 years ago in New Zealand. Working in; wine retail, sales, wine production, label & packaging design, marketing, wine buying, consulting and wine education. I am responsible for the Brand Health of 60+ wine brands distributed here in New Zealand. Wine Brands from New Zealand, Australia, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Chile and Argentina. I work closely with the Trade Industry - (Retail Stores & Restaurants) introducing, educating and positioning exciting and unique brands to wine enthusiasts all over the world.

Monday, September 17, 2012

Taylors 'St Andrews' Chardonnay 2008

Grape Variety: 100% Chardonnay
Growing Region: Clare Valley, Australia
Chief Winemaker: Mitchell Taylor
2008 was another year of challenges in the Clare Valley. As with previous vintages that Mitchell has over-seen - the aim was to craft a wine of delicacy and finesse that will age well. To this end, the juice was quickly extracted using gentle whole berry pressing and then chilled quickly to approx 8°C - to ensure varietal and regional characters were captured and retained.
Sourced from the St Andrews vineyards - 95% of the juice was barrel fermented with 5% of that using wild yeast. Batonnage (lees stirring) was employed over 10 weeks after fermentation and some parcels also remained on lees for around 4 months to build mid-palate structure. The other 5% was fermented in stainless steel and then blended back to give the wine vibrancy and freshness. The oak for this wine was 'Prestige' French barrels - 20% new, the remaining 80% being 1 - 2 years old. The wine stayed in oak barriques for approximately 10 to 12 months after which only minimal fining and filtration prior to bottling in September 2009.
An inviting shiny gold colour fills your glass. It has a fresh, lifted aroma of white peach, subtle pineapple and a hint of rock-melon - with the oak adding complexity to the bouquet. The mid-palate has a rich texture, whilst still retaining a slightly mineral backbone, giving it an overall elegant mouth feel and a touch of creaminess from maturation on lees. The flavours of peach, nectarine and cashew nuts are evident along with cleansing citrus notes on the finish - which has a wonderful persistence and length from the quality French oak. Decant for 15-20 minutes and serve at 10°C.
Drinking perfectly well this coming summer; and will age well for another 3-4 years.
Perfect wine match grilled white meats, subtle cream and butter glazed dishes, enjoy.
Gold Medal - Concours Mondial du Bruxelles 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment