About Me

Gavin Hubble - (BSc & Post Grad. Business Marketing) - I started working in the wine industry over 23 years ago in New Zealand. Working in; wine retail, sales, wine production, label & packaging design, marketing, wine buying, consulting and wine education. I am responsible for the Brand Health of 60+ wine brands distributed here in New Zealand. Wine Brands from New Zealand, Australia, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Chile and Argentina. I work closely with the Trade Industry - (Retail Stores & Restaurants) introducing, educating and positioning exciting and unique brands to wine enthusiasts all over the world.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Montes 'Limited Selection' Carmenère 2010

Grape Variety: 100% Carmenère
Growing Region: Colchagua Valley, Chile
Chief Winemaker: Aurelio Montes
Carmenère the legendary lost grape of Bordeaux, France - was officially recognized by the Chilean Department of Agriculture as a distinct grape variety in 1998. Today thriving and grown chiefly in the Colchagua Valley - the fruit for this wine has real charm and subtle richness.
Aurelio Montes has always maintained that - “80% of good wine comes from the vineyard and the other 20% from the cellar”. So vineyard care is paramount, enabling Montes to produce world-class wines. From the vineyard rows to the cellar, Aurelio’s team meticulously studies every variable in the winemaking process. His commitment to method and process is almost obsessive; nothing is left to chance, and this dynamic wine is one of the fine results.
After careful hand harvesting and diligent fermentation - 70% of the final blend had 6 months ageing in French oak barrels for structure and palate development.
In the glass you are greeted by a dark purple-ruby-red coloured wine. On the nose you have typical Carmenère characters; with bright aromas of black pepper and mulberry notes, while on the palate wild blueberry and blackberry flavours show though, with hints of dark chocolate, black plum and a touch of vanilla and mocha-coffee, accompanied by Carmenère’s characteristic spiciness. A very smooth, elegant, velvety and mouth-filling wine with the rounded, soft tannins distinctive of Carmenère, all creating a memorable finish. Decant for 30 minutes and serve at 16-18°C.
Drinking perfectly well this coming season; and will age well for the next 4-5 years.
Perfect wine match with mushroom risotto, slow cooked beef, pizza and hard cheeses; enjoy.
Don’t be fooled by its easy appeal, this wine has character.

No comments:

Post a Comment